Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Week.

I can't believe it's been so long since I posted. I really was trying to be better about it. I'll start again and try to be better about it from.... now on! :)

So, what has been happening here? Well, we opened the Dierks Fans Store, and we've had a lot of visitors. We've sold more than we thought we would in the first few weeks. Actually, we'd sold four items in the first three days! We are very proud, and are hoping that they send us photos of them modeling or showing off their products. It's so cool that people want what we've designed. We've spent the last few weeks working diligently on that, always discussing new ideas and directions we can go. I have to admit, Nid's taken the lead with designing. One of our friends from Somebody Like You Fans was interested in putting her graphic design work on the site, so I've been busy with her, uploading images and creating a department for them. She's quite talented, and I'd love to buy some cards with her images on.

Other than that, I've been doing a lot of research. Holiday cards, brainstorming for gifts, it's a daunting task at the moment. We're getting ready for our trip to visit our friend Luan in York next week. She and her boyfriend were down the other month just for a few hours, and that was a nice visit. We're really looking forward to seeing the city, as when we were there this time last year Nid was in a cast. We had a great time there, but we didn't get to see much of the city except in the taxi to dinner and riding to Luan's house to visit. I did not take a single photo there last year. That will not be the case this year!

Then the day before yesterday I had a bike accident. It was silly really, but I'm blaming it on the wet roads. We'd been riding about an hour, I'd say, and it was a great ride. Just chilly enough that I didn't get hot and gross even during the uphill portions. We were on the way home, and turning off the main road on the sidewalk, there was a little lip, no more than an inch tall, and usually no problem... but I must not have angled my tire enough because of the water on the road, and my tire slid along the lip instead of hopping up on it.

Boy was I shocked! Nid was ahead of me (thank goodness or he may not have been able to avoid the collision). By the time he saw me down andcame back to me, a car had already stopped in traffic to check on me. Nid said I was okay, and had to really convince the guy he was going to block traffic, and we'd be okay to get him to go. He went to get his bike which he'd thrown down when he saw me down when I told him I was okay, and a group of young boys just out of school came by and asked if I was okay. They offered to move my bike for me (it was still sort of laying on top of me and a little in the street). I said thank you. Nid said they were very concerned, but I couldn't tell because I was all about the pain. And shock. And embarrassment of having crashed my bike in a busy area with double decker buses going by and children getting out of school. Nid kept asking me where it hurt and if I could get up, and I don't know if I could've without him. It just never occurred to me to try, I was so shocked by the whole thing.

I finally did get up, and we started home. Nid took our bikes, and I just hobbled along, whimpering the whole way. It was probably a half mile - 3/4 of a mile to the house, and it was the LONGEST WALK EVER! I could feel the cuts on my left leg burning and I could actually feel the swelling happen. My left arm was dangling and if I moved it at all shooting pains radiated from my elbow. We got home and I sat. That was about 3:45pm. I  stayed there for nearly 5 hours straight just crying. Moving hurt too much, but just sitting killed as well. We decided that if it wasn't better in the morning, we'd go to the Emergency Room. If I'd gone then, I'd have had to go alone, as it was nearly time to fix the children dinner, and likely I wouldn't be home before late, and we don't leave the children home alone after a certain time. I didn't move much until I went to bed at around 11:30. In the middle of the night I had to move to the couch, because I was just too uncomfortable.

By the time morning came along (and it was a long time coming), I could bend my arm a little, and with the help of my other hand, I could rotate it some, so I decided not to go to the ER. I put my arm in Nid's sling and did pretty well. It hurt all day, but it didn't kill. My main problem was doing too much (typing, for example) and that made it hurt worse.

Today, I am so much better. I can hardly believe how much better I am. It aches, but not much. I can't straighten it or bend it all the way, but I'm not currently wearing the sling (may put it on for the trip to the store just to remind myself not to move it) and it doesn't hurt unless I do forget and go to straighten it. So maybe I should put the sling back on.... Anyway. I know that's a lot of detail, but people have been asking how I am, so I thought I'd get it all out there. Plus, I have to write about the Diwali fireworks tonight, so I need to save myself for that.


Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here :)