Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Random Tuesday Is For The Birds.


I've got a new little bird visiting my back yard this week, a Blackbird. My visitor is a female. How do I know? Well, because Nid told me, not because they are black. Female Blackbirds are not black. They are brown.

Female Cardinals (Virginia State Bird) are brown as well, while the males are a vibrant red. It's not fair to the girls, but at least they aren't called Redbirds that aren't red.

For more random, visit Keely at The Un Mom


Jeanette said...

I've always been jealous that in bird society it is the males that have to be beautiful and strut their stuff. I wish it was the same in the human world. If men had to be the pretty ones it would save me so much work. Oh to be a bird.

CaJoh said...

Whenever we're at the beach I tend to see two sea gulls. One white, and one mottled brown. I tell my wife that the brown one is the female, but she doesn't believe me. I guess I'll just have to wait to see two side by side to prove it to her.

Thanks for your random bird lesson,

Travel & Dive Girl said...

I never knew blackbirds were two different colors - thanks for this fact.

david said...

Thanks for the info Jenny! And here in Kentucky, the Cardinal is our State bird as well. How cool!

baresytapas said...

I entered this site by chance, but I found very interesting. A greeting to all the people who visit this page.

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here :)