Monday, May 3, 2010

My, How Time Flies.

I don't know where the last few weeks have gone. There was so much waiting and anticipating leading up to our London trip, and now I am sort of caught in a downward spiral. What have I done with myself? It is a bit of a blur, but here is what I have been up to:

I have done a LOT of packing - household stuff and the kids things. We have a row of big black trash bags lining our kitchen wall, just waiting to be put in our bin (and the neighbor's bin late at night the night before trash day).

Our landlords have already got a renter for the house, and have said we can leave any furniture/furnishings and they will keep it or get rid of it. What a relief! I didn't want to have to pay to have this stuff hauled off.

I have narrowed down our shipping company options to two companies, one that is cheaper but takes 12 weeks, the other is more expensive but takes 4. I'm pretty sure we'll go with the 4, but I'm stalling because then I have to start filling out insurance forms and customs forms, and I do not think it is going to be fun. At. All.

I opened a website! Well, I took over Nid's website, Somebody Like You Fans, a Keith Urban and Country Music Fan Site, and moved it to a new location - same company, different server. I had to start from scratch and transfer over 400 threads from the old board to the new board. It was complicated and time consuming, but it's done! And we are getting a lot of traffic. By taking over the website, I have also taken over the Twitter Page, the Myspace Page, the Facebook Fan Page, and the Facebook Group. It has been keeping me very very busy!

Nid completely redid his website, Dierks Fans, as well. It had a soft opening over the weekend, but the grand opening is today. He really has done his from scratch, as it is an actual website, and not a free hosted message board like mine. I am very proud of him.

I have also been working on my new blog for when we move. I'm still not sure about the title, but I have some very nice backgrounds to chose from, and I am working on some cool fonts/features. I hope it comes out alright in the end.

What have I not been doing? All the little stuff. I need to call the utility companies and tell them our last day here. I need to decide if we are going to forward our mail to the US, which is super expensive. I need to find a job! Technically, I have been working on that, and have applied for many things so far.

I also need to catch up on my blog reading. I haven't thought about it in weeks, and today I logged into Google Reader to find this:
168 new blogs? That's almost too daunting to bear. I may just mark all as read and start fresh. I really enjoy reading them, but at 168 it's more like a job than a hobby and I lose interest. Sorry :(

I saw a Blue Tit in our back yard yesterday. I had never seen one before, and I called Nid in to identify it for me. It was already gone by the time he got there, but he knew what it was just by my (rather poor) description. This is what it looked like, it's just so darn cute!

I have been trying to get a picture of what I am calling my pet Magpie. She comes every couple of weeks and sits on the roof of the house or the wall of the yard. I was taken in by her beauty from the very first moment I saw her and asked Nid to identify her for me. He knows all about birds, which is very handy. This is not my Magpie, but she looks just like it. She is larger than this picture indicates.

Well, that is my life in a nutshell right now. I'll try to be better about blogging, but other than the above I haven't really done much to write about.

8 comments:

david said...

Whew, Jenny you have been busy. I'm sure taking over SLYF is very time consuming. That's a lot to do, and on a daily basis. Keep up the great work! That's crazy that it takes so long to ship your possessions over to the States. To me, even 4 weeks is a long time. So will Nid be without his PC for that long? The dierksfans site does look good. I know he has put forth a lot of time and effort in it, and it shows! Thanks for giving us a little of your time, I enjoyed the read. :)

Jenny said...

Thanks David. He will be without "his" PC, but we will have mine. Won't matter much if we don't have internet though, will it? :) Glad you enjoy reading, that's my motivation.

Melissa said...

Hi Jenny! Melissa here. *waves* What moving service are you guys going to use? We are still so early on in the process I may be getting ahead of myself, but I want to feel I am doing something to help! I'm going nuts with the waiting right now... I'm sure you understand! Best of luck in the move. :)

Jenny said...

Hey Melissa. We're going with 1st Move International. http://www.shipit.co.uk/

I had three companies in my sites after contacting them all. YouPackWeShip, 1st Move, and Excess Baggage Company. They were all very close in price per square foot. Excess Baggage was slightly cheaper, and they deliver to your door and pack and unpack, but their delivery estimate was 10-12 weeks. 1st Move is closer to four. It is an estimate, but for the tiny bit more, we're going with them. Also, they stack all your belongings on a pallet and shrink wrap them together, so your box isn't sitting next to someone else's box in the cargo container. We decided that since much of our stuff is going to remain in storage at our house, we could pick it up (the depot is less than two hours from our house) and save a few weeks.

It's hard not to get ahead of yourself in this process. I've had shopping lists for setting up the house for months now! Little things like salt and pepper that you always have, but are likely to forget during that first big trip to the store. Thanks so much for the well wishes, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. It makes me feel good to be able to help others, as I've been helped so much by others myself during this trying process :)

Sarah*G* said...

Have a great move. I know how hectic it is moving overseas as I did it myself recently. I don't plan on doing it again for a long time!
Look forward to seeing your new blog.

Jenny said...

Thanks Sarah. We don't plan on doing it again ever! Moving house in the same town is hard enough. I'll announce on here when I make the switch over to the new blog :)

Anonymous said...

HI, I found your blog whilst researching shipping companies for our move from the UK to the US and we are also considering 1st Move. I found a particularly terrifying review of them however, and am now reconsidering. Can you tell me how you got on with them? Were they decent? Thank you very much!!!

Jenny said...

I think there are those kinds of reviews about every company out there. Unfortunately, bad things happen to every company at some point, I think. We had a great experience with them! They were very friendly, very helpful (even when I had major stress brain farts and sent them stuff like wrong credit card numbers - oops!). The company on this end took longer than I thought (can't remember the name right now, but they're in New Jersey), but the lady was nice every time I called (every day or two). In all, the shipping time total was less than most other companies, even though the price was slightly higher. All of our belongings arrived in perfect condition. If I were moving again (which I won't ever be, lol) I'd use them again. Good luck with your move :)

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here :)